The first week of our summer holiday has almost come and gone… Here at my house we’ve made the most of it! Nothing major, I suppose – but very enjoyable. A trip to the pool. A few visits to the park. Some good play time with friends. All in all, we are off to a good start.
But, I’m in a bit of a quandry. Monday we had company and I made a Blueberry Chocolate Breakfast Cake that was absolutely delicious. I was sure that I was going to share the recipe for it here, until today.
Today Isaac came across this idea somewhere and I ended up making these oreo chocolate milk shakes. Milkshakes definitely qualify as the quintessential summer treat, especially when oreos and chocolate are involved. How can I not share that albeit simple, recipe with you?
So, I decided. I’ll give both to you. Because it is summer. and everyone loves 2 for 1, right?
Blueberry Chocolate Breakfast Cake. (this recipe is taken from iambaker.net )
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups frozen unsweetened blueberries (depending on size of blueberries)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In stand mixer cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and blend on medium for 30 seconds.
- Remove bowl from mixer and fold in frozen blueberries. (To help keep blueberries from falling to the bottom, sprinkle them with a couple tablespoons of flour prior to adding into batter.)
- Bake at 375° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Muffins take about 20 minutes.
Isaac’s Oreo Chocolate Shake
Ingredients: 2 cups of vanilla ice-cream, chocolate syrup, 1 cup milk, oreos (5-6, or 10 or 50) whipped cream.
Instructions: put ice-cream, milk and oreos in a blender and mix until thick and smooth, or to the consistency you prefer. squirt syrup in the bottom of your glass, pour in shake, top with whipped cream. **** we sprinkled with mini chocolate chips!****
I hope you’ve enjoyed your first week of summer as much as we have! Maybe you should celebrate with one of these yummy treats! 🙂